Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn armed. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn armed. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng

Chủ Nhật, 12 tháng 5, 2013

North Korea names another new armed forces minister

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has replaced the hardline general who headed its armed forces ministry, in a further reshuffling of the top brass by young leader Kim Jong-un.

General Jang Jong-nam was named "minister of the People's Armed Forces" by state news agency KCNA in a report, the third official to take the role since Kim Jong-un formally assumed power in North Korea just over a year ago.

Jang, a relatively unknown general, was previously commander of the First Corps of the Korean People's Army.

The report would appear to show that armed forces ministry chief Kim Kyok-sik, reputed to have been behind the 2010 shelling of a South Korean island that killed four people, had been replaced.

Kim Kyok-sik himself was only named armed forces minister last November in a move North Korea watchers believed was part of an effort to solidify the grip of North Korea's young leader over the army.

The post of minister of the armed forces is considered subordinate to the Army Chief of General Staff and its head of the Political Department.

Jang is one of a group of younger soldiers who are stepping up to replace men who grew up under the country's founder Kim Il-sung, South Korean daily Chosun Ilbo reported.

It is not known how old Jang is.

Frequent reshuffles of top army figures have triggered speculation the 30-year old Kim Jong-un, the third of his family to rule North Korea, may be seeking to reassert the power of the Workers' Party of Korea over the country's generals.

(Reporting by David Chance. Editing by Dean Yates)


View the original article here

Thứ Ba, 9 tháng 4, 2013

Yugoslav wars left population heavily armed

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — The wars from 1991 to 1999 as Yugoslavia broke up took up to 200,000 lives, turned millions into refugees and left much of the region's people traumatized and heavily armed. It was the bloodiest conflict in Europe since World War II.

The millions of weapons that remained in possession of civilians after the fighting have caused fatalities every week, as traumatized former soldiers either shoot family members or commit suicide or children find guns at home and die while playing with them.

All of the seven new countries that emerged have banned civilians from owning weapons with varying degrees of success.

SERBIA

Serbia has about three million weapons owned by civilians, according to the Small Arms Survey, a nongovernmental organization from Switzerland. It says Serbia has the fifth-highest number of weapons per capita in the world, with some 38 firearms for every 100 people.

In contrast, the U.S. has 88.8 weapons per 100 people and leads the list worldwide, with Yemen second at 54.8 arms per 100 people. England and Wales are low down on the list with 6.2 weapons per 100 people.

Serbian gun laws were tightened several years ago when authorities proposed an amnesty for all those with illegal weapons. Heavy weapons like mortar launchers that were handed over were impounded, but small arms were allowed, with owners required to get a license and pay taxes on them.

In recent years there have been several incidents where hand grenades were activated during minor arguments, including one last year when four people were killed when they were refused entry into a bar in northern Serbia.

On Tuesday, police said a 60-year-old veteran gunned down 13 people in a house-to-house rampage in a Serbian village. The motive for that was unknown.

MACEDONIA

Macedonia takes second place in the region, with approximately 24 weapons per 100 people, according to the Small Arms Survey. Authorities have introduced voluntary firearm surrender schemes and weapons seizures to reduce the number of illegal guns, collecting tens of thousands.

MONTENEGRO

Montenegrins have 23 guns for every 100 people, according to Small Arms Survey. Automatic and semi-automatic weapons are prohibited for civilians and handguns are only permitted with licenses. Authorities have confiscated weapons and held voluntary firearm surrender programs, collecting tens of thousands of illicit weapons.

CROATIA

Civilians are not allowed to possess any automatic or semi-automatic weapons, while handguns are only permitted with licenses. Still, according to the Small Arms Survey, there's almost 22 weapons for every 100 people. Additionally, Croatia, like Bosnia, has a severe land mine problem. The Croatian Mine Action Center says the country is contaminated with over 90,000 land mines. Clearing them has been slow and costly.

KOSOVO

Kosovo's government has banned civilians from owning weapons and introduced programs to encourage people to hand over guns voluntarily, but there's still 19.5 weapons for every 100 people, the Small Arms Survey says. The law foresees up to five years in prison if caught owning an illegal weapon but enforcement has been lax. Kosovo Police have held TV campaigns with NATO peacekeepers to encourage people to hand over their guns.

BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA

The 1992-95 Bosnian war was the bloodiest of all the conflicts that erupted after Yugoslavia's breakup. When it ended, most of Bosnia's citizens were armed but the government declared that all weapons owned by civilians were illegal and offered amnesty to those who surrendered them. A public awareness campaign also pointed out how dangerous weapons can be for children. Tens of thousands brought their weapons to police stations or handed them over to NATO peacekeepers every year.

The Small Arms Survey says the country has 17 weapons for every 100 people. A former soldier once shot his wife with a bazooka after a domestic dispute.

Bosnia is also the most landmine-contaminated nation in the region, with an estimated 120,000 still dotting the country.

SLOVENIA

Civilians are not allowed to possess automatic firearms since the country declared independence in 1991. Semi-automatic assault weapons and handguns are permitted only with special government authorization. According to the Small Arms Survey, Slovenia is the least armed nation from the former Yugoslavia, with 13 weapons per 100 people.


View the original article here

Thứ Năm, 7 tháng 3, 2013

Malaysian troops attack armed Philippine group in Sabah

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysian troops launched an attack on an armed Filipino group on Tuesday, trying to end a standoff on Borneo island after violence in recent days that killed at least 27 people, a Malaysian government official said.

The operation to take over an area occupied by about 180 Filipinos, dozens of them armed, began at 7 a.m. (06.00 p.m. EST Monday), a spokesman for Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said. The government sent seven army battalions to the area in eastern Sabah state on Monday to reinforce police.

Two policemen were killed along with 12 militants when Malaysian security forces tried to tighten a cordon around the armed group on Friday. That sparked more violence over the weekend with six policemen and seven more gunmen killed in another area, raising concerns the violence was spreading.

"After the first attack, I have asserted that the intruders must surrender and if they refuse the authorities of this country will take action," Najib said in a statement.

"The government has to take the right action in order to preserve the pride and sovereignty of this country."

The group, which arrived by boat about three weeks ago, say they are descendants of the sultanate of Sulu in the southern Philippines, which ruled parts of northern Borneo for centuries. They are demanding recognition and an increased payment from Malaysia for their claim as the rightful owners of Sabah.

Malaysia has refused their demands and along with the Philippine government had urged the group to return home.

The violence has sparked a political crisis ahead of elections for both the Philippine and Malaysian governments and raised concerns of instability in resource-rich Sabah state.

(Reporting by Niluksi Koswanage; Writing by Stuart Grudgings; Editing by Dean Yates)


View the original article here

Thứ Hai, 25 tháng 2, 2013

Syria says it's prepared to talk with armed rebels

BEIRUT (AP) — Syria said Monday it is prepared to hold talks with the armed rebels bent on overthrowing President Bashar Assad, the clearest signal yet that the regime is growing increasingly nervous about its long-term prospects to hold onto power as opposition fighters make slow but persistent headway in the civil war.

The offer, by Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem during a visit to Moscow, came hours before residents of Damascus and state-run TV reported a huge explosion in the capital, followed by gunfire.

The proposal marked the first time that a high-ranking regime official has stated publicly that Damascus would be willing to meet with the armed opposition. But al-Moallem did not spell out whether rebels would first have to lay down their weapons before negotiations could begin — a crucial sticking point in the past.

The regime's proposal is unlikely to lead to talks. The rebels battling the Syrian military have vowed to stop at nothing less than Assad's downfall and are unlikely to agree to sit down with a leader they accuse of mass atrocities.

But the timing of the proposal suggests the regime is warming to the idea of a settlement as it struggles to hold territory and claw back ground it has lost to the rebels in the nearly 2-year-old conflict.

Opposition fighters have scored several tactical victories in recent weeks, capturing the nation's largest hydroelectric dam and overtaking airbases in the northeast. In Damascus, they have advanced from their strongholds in the suburbs into neighborhoods in the northeast and southern rim of the capital, while peppering the center of the city with mortar rounds for days.

Monday night's blast, which activists said was most likely a car bomb, exploded about 800 yards (meters) from Abbasid Square, a landmark plaza in central Damascus. The explosion and subsequent gunfire caused panic in the capital, although the target was not immediately clear and it was not known if there were any casualties.

On Thursday, a car bomb near the ruling Baath Party headquarters in Damascus killed at least 53 people, according to state media.

While the momentum appears to be shifting in the rebels' direction, the regime's grip on Damascus remains firm, and Assad's fall is far from imminent.

Still, Monday's offer to negotiate with the armed opposition — those whom Assad referred to only in January as "murderous criminals" and refused to talk with — reflects the regime's realization that in the long run, its chances of keeping its grip on power are slim.

Asked about al-Moallem's remarks, U.S. State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said the offer of talks was a positive step "in the context of them raining Scuds down on their own civilians." But he expressed caution about the seriousness of the offer.

"I don't know their motivations, other than to say they continue to rain down horrific attacks on their own people," Ventrell told reporters in Washington. "So that speaks pretty loudly and clearly."

If the Assad regime is serious, he said, it should inform the U.N. peace envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi of its readiness for talks. Ventrell said the regime hasn't done that yet.

Andrew Tabler, a fellow at the Washington Institute, said called the offer "a sign of weakness."

"I think everybody knows, including Bashar Assad, that they (the regime) can't hang onto the whole country," Tabler said.

Mustafa Alani, an analyst with the Gulf Research Center in Geneva, said the regime has "reached the conclusion that they are heading toward a major defeat eventually, and this is the right time to negotiate."

"They are not losing miles every day, but they are losing substantial ground every day. So the regime is not genuine (in its offer) because it has changed, it's genuine because it is responding to a major shift in the balance of power on the ground," he added.

Alani cautioned, however, that the regime is also eager to keep the idea of talks alive in order to forestall any Western decision on arming the rebels. As long as the possibility of negotiations is still on the table, the U.S. and the European Union — which have so far provided only non-lethal aid — will be reluctant to open the flood gates on weapons for the opposition, he said.

"The whole regime tactic is to delay supplying arms, to buy time," Alani said. "The regime can show good will. Whether they're a viable partner or not is a different story."

It's also unclear who exactly the regime would sit across from at the negotiating table.

The dozens of armed groups across Syria fall under no unified command and do not answer to the Syrian National Council, an umbrella group of opposition parties that the West recognizes as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.

At least one group offered a lukewarm response Monday to al-Moallem's proposal.

The head of one group, Free Syrian Army chief Gen. Salim Idriss, said he is "ready to take part in dialogue within specific frameworks," but then rattled off conditions that the regime has rejected in the past.

"There needs to be a clear decision on the resignation of the head of the criminal gang, Bashar Assad, and for those who participated in the killing of the Syrian people to be put on trial," Idriss told pan-Arab broadcaster Al-Arabiya TV.

He said the government must agree to stop all kinds of violence and to hand over power, saying that "as rebels, this is our bottom line."

Syria's 23-month-old conflict, which has killed more than 70,000 people and destroyed many of the country's cities, has repeatedly confounded international efforts to bring the parties together to end the bloodshed. Russia, a close ally of Assad and his regime's chief international advocate, offered Feb. 20, in concert with the Arab League, to broker talks between the rebels and the government.

With the proposal, which the Kremlin would be unlikely to float publicly without first securing Damascus' word that it would indeed take part, Moscow ratcheted up the pressure on Syria to talk to the opposition.

Russia has shielded Assad's government from U.N. action and kept shipping weapons to the military, but it is growing increasingly difficult to protect the regime as the violence grinds on.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov repeated his call Monday for Syria to negotiate with the opposition, saying before meeting al-Moallem that "the situation in Syria is at a crossroads now." He also warned that further fighting could lead to "the breakup of the Syrian state."

Past government offers for talks with the opposition have included a host of conditions, such as demanding that the rebels first lay down their arms. Those proposals have been swiftly rejected by both activists outside Syria and rebels on the ground.

Both sides in the conflict in recent weeks have floated offers and counteroffers to hold talks on the crisis.

In a speech in January, Assad offered to lead a national dialogue to end the bloodshed, but said he would not talk with the armed opposition and vowed to keep fighting. The opposition rejected the proposal.

This month, the leader of the Syrian National Coalition, the umbrella group for opposition parties, said he would be open to discussions with the regime that could pave the way for Assad's departure, but that the government must first release tens of thousands of detainees. The government refused, and even members within the coalition balked at the idea of talks.

Speaking to reporters Monday in Cairo, SNC chief Mouaz al-Khatib accused the regime of procrastinating and said it had derailed his dialogue offer by not responding to the coalition's conditions.

"We are always open to initiatives that stop the killing and destruction, but the regime rejected the simplest of humanitarian conditions. We have asked that the regime start by releasing women prisoners and there was no response," he said. "This regime must understand that the Syrian people do not want it anymore."

The coalition also finds itself at odds with its Western backers, and has said it will boycott a conference in Rome that is to help drum up financial and political support for the opposition. The SNC suspended its participation in the Rome meeting because of the indifference of the West and the coalition's Arab allies over the regime's attacks on the Syrian people in Aleppo and other cities.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday urged rebel leaders not to skip the meeting and insisted that more help is on the way.

Kerry made a public plea at a joint news conference with British Foreign Secretary William Hague and also called al-Khatib, leader of the Syrian Opposition Council, "to encourage him to come to Rome," a senior U.S. official said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Meanwhile, the fighting inside Syria rages on.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights activist group reported heavy clashes Monday near a police academy in Khan al-Asal just outside Aleppo.

Rebels backed by captured tanks launched an offensive on the facility Sunday. Observatory director Rami Abdul-Rahman said at least 13 rebels and five regime troops were killed.

In another part of Aleppo, rebels downed a military helicopter near the Mennegh airport, where there have been fierce clashes for months.

A video posted online by activists showed a missile being fired, a trail of white smoke and the aircraft going up in flames. Voices in the background shouted, "God is great!" as a man raised both hands in celebration.

The video appeared to be authentic and corresponded to other AP reporting.

___

Associated Press writers Nataliya Vasilyeva in Moscow, Zeina Karam in Beirut, Matthew Lee in London, Bradley Klapper in Washington and Geir Moulson in Berlin contributed to this report.


View the original article here